Marvin Windows Doors - Problems with Marvin Windows & Doors Leaking

My wife & I are in a nightmare.We bought and remodeled our dream home two years ago and installed all Marvin windows & doors.

They began leaking almost immediately. After fighting with the builder for a year about installation it was discovered the windows themselves are defective. Marvin had an independent testing company come in over six months ago and the testing company confirmed they are defective. Water continues to penetrate and damage our home but Marvin is only willing to send us new windows and not pay for the installation (est > $130K) and the interior damage to our home (est >$100K).

Has anyone had any luck with this company?Help!

review #205200
38 42 Helpful?
Had the same issue15 Comments31
Had an experience with Marvin Windows Doors?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 04 #925696 Sacramento, California

Installation is KEY. I would love to know if the installs were AAMA certified and what flashings and caulks were used. Installers cut corners .We install Marvin and Integrity and have not had ONE leak in 30 years. We also partner with the best stucco and siding installers that go hand in hand with a great window install. Marvin is still the best product out there and Ultrex is the best fiberglass window available.

Nick

Jan 11 #929527 Laguna Niguel, California

I just installed 16 Marvin Integrity Ultrex fiberglass casement windows. The weather seals were poorly cut in manufacture, so water drips inside the casement. Once inside the casement, it drips down into the bottom 45s, many of which of which are not sealed, so from there it wicks in and ruins the wood sill. I have these leak problems with about eight of the sixteen installs. Moreover, the exterior mull covers were very sloppily installed and many of the interior plastic trim pieces arrived severely deformed. And you say you have never seen a Marvin window leak after installing them for 30 years? In my opinion, based on my experience, I cannot imagine a plausible chance that you are anything less than a bald faced liar. I expect Marvin to fix these problems. If they do, then great. If they don't, then they will never hear the end of it from me.

Jul 31, 2014 #849084

We have been dealing with a Marvin Integrity nightmare for the past 9 months. We used these windows and french doors for the new home we built. The doors have been replaced 5 times already. Every double hung has been replaced at least once but 11 of them have had their 4th replacement. All of the awning windows have nails showing that never hit the frame. Let me note that most of these replacements were not even acceptable to the distributor in our area that handles all Marvin issues in my area. They have done their best but they don't make the product which is TERRIBLE in my opinion. I will never ever use them again. I hope this helps others from the same fate.

2 0 Reply
eppi

Jul 11, 2014 #839455

I have the Marvin ultrex sliders since 1998 I installed them myself they are the best windows I ever installed no leaks and after 16 years they work and feel and look like I just installed them. That's the test of time there is no better test sorry to hear you have that problem

0 2 Reply
homeowner

Aug 14, 2013 #699769 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

These folks are uninformed, most new homes settle causing the frame to rack, and have tons of moisture, from new construction. Its all in the installation. We have looked between Marvin and Anderson they are similar its the installers. Make sure what ever you buy you can replace the seal in the frame this is where the problem starts!

Kate

Jul 23, 2013 #686066 Minneapolis, Minnesota

We have 2004 Marvin Integrity windows. There has been mold since day one. They came to look and haven't done anything about it. I am tired of cleaning mold off of the vinyl inner track. Any ideas how to proceed?

4 0 Reply
Doug Rose

Nov 04, 2012 #564471

This site is very illuminating. We are shopping windows and sliding doors now for a new custom home. We were set on Marvin. Now we plan to expand our search. Too many dissatisfied customers.

Eric

Jan 23, 2013 #597270 Chicago, Illinois

Same here in Chicago.... had been set on Marvin and will now look @ Andersen.

ferg

Mar 25, 2013 #628522

DO NOT BUY ANDERSENS. The glass is warranted for 20 yrs. Vinyl clad comes off. Andersen says other parts warranted for 10 yrs. Vinly exterior clad came ungluged. Allowed water to go in between vinyl and wood. Won't replace. Acts of God are not only hurricane, snow, ice....but sunshine an rain too. Thought they were the best. HYMBUG!!!Floor and frame rotting, termites trying to next up. Terrible nightmare.

Bailey

May 11, 2013 #649404 Chicago, Illinois

I find this hard to believe that the Andersen windows did this as they way the cladding is vacuum formed onto the sash and frame is highly unlikely the cladding could come off. Furthermore, it is not glued on. I have been to their factory to see their process for myself. Are you sure you don't have another manufacturer's product?

0 0
just the facts

Jun 19, 2013 #666649 Midland, Texas

Illuminating? This is all conjecture. There are not facts or details given here, what about the installation?...anyone can say anything.

Keith

Oct 24, 2012 #559415

I installed Marvin metal clad windows in 1997, new house and at the builders recommendation. These have leaked air from around the sash and built up huge ice on the surface every winter. Marvin rep came out and blamed it all on humidity in the house, I have no more than 40 per cent in winter and there are only two of living here.
I see Marvin won a lawsuit againstPPG Industries in 2001 or 2002 claiming that the wood preservative PPG used failed.
Anyone had windows replaced because of this lawsuit?

Devon Walton in  Minnesota

Oct 19, 2012 #557274

I installed Marvin Integrity wood windows in my home as an upgrade to the builders' windows in my new construction home in 2004. All of the glass panes are already cold and it is only 43 degrees outside right now. Last winter, I had to plastic cover the insides of my patio door as you couldn't stand near it in a strong breeze. If I could, I would replace them all right now. I am burning serious dollars in the summer for cooling and wearing heavy socks in my home in the winter. Unbelievable....

Eleni

Jul 06, 2012 #508315

Hi Tom:I live in Ill, built a house in 2003 with marvin windows and have experienced your problems from day one. Marvin came in caulked and changed one window and I thought problem was solved. Since then nine, years later, I have mold and rotting of two windows right next to the one they originally changed. Last year seven small oval windows in my living room were changed due to some kind of deterioration (dust). On 6-29-12 we had a severe storm and almost all windows leaked. My guarantee is up this month Marvin has agreed to provide us new windows but will not cover installation fees. I also wonder if we change these windows now, how long before they deteriorate again? and will Marvin replace product without charge? How is your situation now? any progress with Marvin?

bridgecross

Jun 18, 2012 #498150

It's amazing that every complaint for EVERY brand is about leaking or rotting, but people just don't connect the dots. You folks should know that it's 20% window, 80% installation! Is the water coming through the window itself? NO! Was the frame flashed and sealed correctly? Unless you give the details of the exact product AND the name of the installer (who is an authorized Marvin installer, right, right?), please don't post anything. Thank you.

gj from st. louis

May 14, 2012 #479936

replaced 4 sets sliding doors with Marvin patin doors. Noticed rot around the interior wood at the lower edge of one of the doors that seldom is opened and discovered the lower corner was rotted. Local rep came out and took photos - said the water came in at the lower edge of the glass and the design was hanged shortly after mine were built. This was just after the warranty expired, but had gone unnoticed for some time. I was supposed to hear something from "the factory" never did. Found another one rotting at the top. Would not buy again

jasen

Oct 02, 2011 #352859

Well I e had 3 sets of Marvin windows put in my house that was completed 1 month ago and I woke up this morning and guess what there leaking again.

Drafty in Bay Area

Sep 05, 2011 #339590

I replaced half my windows (14) with Marvins at a big expense to me in my little house. I researched and asked and people convinced me that I wanted them for quality and appearance and energy effifiency. From the time they were installed I was disappointed. They are very cold to the touch, so much for Argon. They seem to radiate cold from them. They feel as drafty and cold as the original 1937 installed single panes. I am very disappointed and there is no way I can afford to replace them. Purchased Alum Clad wood interiors in 2006.

Drafty in Bay Area

Sep 05, 2011 #339589

steven marcello

Sep 04, 2011 #339267

I installed Marcein windows and patio doors all aluminum clad argon gas 1995..The two patio doors are 8 ft. tall alum.clad with wood interior. Upon deliver Marvin had to replace these doors three times before we had two doors that were not warp..The doors have always leaked water and I have replaced two doors already..Have also replaced four windows that have rotted..I also have numerous windows that the sliding mechanism has separeted from the window slide..I plan to contact Marvin about doors because now my pine floor has rot from leaking door. I bought Marvin from recommendation of "This Old House" show..Very disappointed with these windows...

1-20 of 31 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Marvin Windows Doors.
Filing a new complaint about
×